4th December 2018 | Tuesday
Press Club, Basheerbagh, Hyderabad
In collaboration with 12 partner organisations, 16 focus group discussions (FGD) and eight jan samwaads were conducted across Telangana over a period of 45 days.
Participants: The issues of the following stakeholders were discussed threadbare, and compiled as a charter of demands:
- Farmers- large, medium and marginal holders;
- Youth- professionals and those in the unorganised sector;
- Women- landless labourers, domestic workers, professionals and devadasis;
- Dalits- women, students, labourers, farmers, construction workers;
- Adivasis- women, students, labourers, farmers
- Backward Classes;
- Teachers- Primary School and University level;
- Slum dwellers.
Outcomes: This process culminated in the state level Telangana Racha Banda, which was an interactive dialogue between over 100 representatives of various CSOs, as well as the media and political parties.
Dr. Jairam Ramesh from the Indian National Congress (INC), Mr. BN Reddy from the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and Mr. Gavva Vidyadhar Reddy from the Telangana Jana Samithi (TJS) accepted the charter of demands prepared by the CSOs and Samruddha Bharat, which were eventually included in the respective party manifestos. Numerous candidates went on to highlight some of these issues in their individual campaigns, and made specific commitments on redressing them in a time bound manner.